Congratulations To Students
Congratulations to our students in the manner in which they have engaged during Off-Campus Learning. I wish all students and their families a relaxing break and look forward to the continuation of learning next term.
Questions to Encourage Deeper Critical Thinking
Following is a list of questions that you can ask your children to encourage deeper critical thinking. Instead of asking “what did you do in class today”, ask the following:
- What was the hardest thing you had to do in class today?
- Did you get a chance to help another student today? • How can you tell if you‘re going well in your learning?
- What is one thing you can try tomorrow that will make learning from home better?
- What is something you‘d like to say to your teacher about Off Campus Learning?
- In a couple of days, can you show me something you‘re working on that you’re proud of?
The Importance of Sleep
Quality sleep improves your mental, emotional, and physical performance. It also improves your immune system, balances your hormones, boosts your metabolism, and improves your brain function. Sleep is when your brain files or removes all the clutter that accumulates in a day of learning and thinking so you are refreshed and ready with energy for the next day. Getting good sleep is important for both your mind and body. Different people need a different amount of sleep in order to function optimally during the day. Whilst most adults need about 8 hours sleep a night, many teenagers need more like 9-10 hours sleep per night.
Tips to support a good sleep:
- Have a regular bed time and wake up time.
- Establish a bed time ritual. Doing a series of actions before bed also helps your body to prepare for sleep. Ideas include, a warm bath or shower, reading a book, listening to quiet music or doing some gentle stretches.
- Avoid technology in the hour before bed.
- Exercise during the day so that your body is ready for rest at night.
- Don’t eat big meals at night.
- Limit your caffeine during the day and don’t drink any caffeine in the afternoon or evening.
- Don’t have too much liquid in the evening.
- Have your room as dark as possible when trying to get to sleep.
A reminder that all families have access to the Study Skills Handbook.
PROBLEM OF THE FORTNIGHT
You are on a game show and there are three doors. The presenter tells you that behind one of the doors there is a car and behind the other two are goats. If you pick the car you win it. After you have picked a door the presenter opens a different door with a goat behind it, he then gives you the chance to change what door you open. What should you do?
Four and five is nine.
Director of Learning and Teaching