Dear Parents and Carers,
Last week we held a College Assembly that was wholly focussed on the Creative Arts. I firmly believe that the Creative and Performing Arts are vital to a school in further supporting the development of young people – and especially the opportunity they present in not only sharing and appreciating individual creative gifts and talents but also in developing an ability for young people to express themselves positively through the use of various mediums.
I would like to proudly state that the various Creative Arts programs at ERC provide the ideal environment for boys to be encouraged to develop their leadership skills, self-confidence and stimulate their creativity and intellect. Congratulations to all students who either performed or were acknowledged at the Assembly. I also wish to acknowledge Ms Costello and the entire Creative and Performing Arts faculty for providing so many learning opportunities for our students and contributing to the rich creative culture of our College community more broadly.
In a week that involved our College initiating and hosting representatives from six of the local Catholic secondary schools for our Annual ERC Sustainability Conference, we are reminded of the genuine commitment to our local environment from our ECO Sustainability Group, which Mrs Dianne Schodde energetically leads. Thank you one and all for a wonderfully successful conference that included our very own Ms Nadia Neal (Aboriginal Education Officer) and ABC celebrity Costa Georgiadis as keynote speakers.
Each day I am reminded of the dynamic learning community that is ERC. Our College continues to build upon the hard-earned reputation of empowering young people to engage in an education that inspires them to become independent learners who are each willing to take risks in further developing their obvious potential. In this way, I would like to celebrate a snapshot of those who have recently represented our College community:
- Year 8 staff and students for hosting a most successful Social Day with St Mary’s Star of the Sea College
- The performance and sportsmanship of the ERC Hockey, Basketball, AFL, Soccer, and Rugby League Teams
- Year 12 Drama students awarded ‘Best Direction’ at the Sharp Short Theatre competition
- Ms Francesca Gazzolla for being nominated by NESA as one of seven professionals who will contribute to the writing of the new 7-10 English Syllabus
- Alistair Gorgijovski (Year 12) competing at the recent Australian Olympic Swimming Trials
The College Leadership Team is forever mindful of balancing the curricular and co-curricular priorities across our community, and I believe that our ongoing success highlights this balance. I would like to also pay tribute to our excellent teaching staff for providing our students with so many valuable and lasting learning experiences.
I wish all members of our community a restful winter holiday.
UPCOMING EVENTS AND/OR DATES
- 12 July – Staff Day – Pupil Free
- 13 July – Students Return for Term 3
- 16 July – Tom Anderton Shield
- 22 July – Semester 1 Awards Assembly Yrs 7-8
- 23 July – Semester 1 Awards Assembly Yrs 9-10
- 26 July – Trial HSC Examinations commence